We are one of Calgary’s most dynamic galleries and home to many outstanding contemporary Canadian painters, sculptors and printmakers. Established in 1986, and located in the downtown core, our goal is to make art a part of your life as much as it is a part of ours.
We have approximately 3,000 square feet of exhibition space with 16-foot ceilings, located on the main floor of Chevron Plaza, 500 5th Ave SW.
We want to help clientele expand their art appreciation, identify the styles and media that define the art they like,and introduce new collectors to some of Canada’s best known contemporary artists while bring rising new art stars to the attention of the seasoned collectors. We are here to help our clients invest in quality works of art with confidence and within their budget.
Fine Art Consultation
We are pleased to assist our clients — whether individuals, corporate entities, or institutions — in selecting and acquiring art from the artists represented by Wallace Galleries (or by other art galleries across Canada).
Our recommendations will be tailored to suit your desires and your budget.
Appraisals are important for insurance coverage, asset valuation, loss of asset, family settlement, estate planning and estimation of fair market value. We also work with Cultural Properties for significant institutional donations or purchases. We can offer on-site evaluations as well so please contact us for your specific needs. Please do inquire on our pricing for each of these services. Sorry, we do not provide evaluations over the phone.
We offer on-approval release of art works so our clients can try the art for a day or two at their home or office.
Since your lighting conditions, wall colour, furniture, etc. can influence how a piece of art works and looks in a room, we encourage you to try the art on-approval.
Corporate Consultation & Leasing Services
...art consultation, placement, installation, cataloguing, & appraisal services. We customize whatever your specific needs are (for the corporation) to help establish and maintain your collection.
We also have available corporate lease-to-own services. Lease options are tailored to the amount of art you wish to purchase and your desired budget. Lease terms range from two to five years; at the end of the lease term, you own the artwork.
Please do inquire on our pricing for each of these services.
Lay-Away and Gift Registry
We offer registry services for gifts to celebrate a wedding, birthday, anniversary, or other special occasions, be it corporate or private. We also have the option of gift certificates available. Please contact us to discuss your needs.
R J Hope is available for consultation and framing by appointment. R J Hope offers all conservation & custom framing. To contact Robert for framing questions or needs, please make an appointment by calling 1.403.277.1616.
Shipping, Placement, & Installation of Art
Cost estimates for these and other services will be provided upon request.
*Some exceptions may apply.
Living with Art Tips
- Use two picture hooks instead of one - this will significantly reduce movement.
- It is not necessary to find a stud to hang a painting, due to the design of the hooks (unless the art is VERY heavy).
- Art works should be hung at the eye level of people seated in the room. Exceptions are for art hung in a hallway or above a fireplace mantle.
- When paintings are hung together, the centre of the paintings should be aligned (not the top or bottom).
- Do not ‘jug’ or stagger paintings on a wall unless going up a stairwell.
- The centre of the paintings should line up (approximately); not the top or bottom. think of it like reading a book; there should be flow in the room..
- Mix and match your mediums, artists and subjects—keep things interesting.
- Do the unexpected!
- Hang a figure painting in the kitchen and a still life in the living room.
- Make groupings. Even with different artists.
- Don’t centre all the art on the wall. Create specific areas in a room based on where you hang your art.
- You can hang paintings lower than furniture—for example, you could create a vertical grouping of paintings in a clear wall area beside a furniture grouping.
- Don’t be afraid of size! Some areas and walls look fabulous with an oversized piece of art.
- Try out the art you’re thinking of purchasing. You never really know what it will look like in your space by just taking a measurement. (That’s why we encourage ‘art on approval’.)
- Buy what YOU like, because YOU have to live with it.
- You can hang art in your bathroom.
Artwork is sensitive to direct light; that being said in most homes actual direct light, such as south facing wall right in a window is rare. In actuality florescent light is worse for your art. If you are concerned please do consult us.
Dusting/cleaning your art - it is usually best to use a feather duster, especially on textured works. NEVER use windex or other cleaning detergents; only use water. If there is more cleaning needed it is best to consult us first for recommendation.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. we’re here to help you find art that you will enjoy living with, that reflects your personal style, and that makes a distinctive statement, and that you will enjoy.