Born: 1928 - Hartlepool, County Durham, England. Moved to Canada in l969, passed away July 14, 2022
Born: 1928 - Hartlepool, County Durham, England. Moved to Canada in
1969, lives in London, Ont.
Education: - Attended the Hartlepool College of Art, County Durham, Eng.
- Royal Academy Schools, Piccadilly, London, Eng.
1972 - 82 - Dean, Faculty of Applied Arts, Fanshawe College, London,
1963 - Head of Fine Art Department, Leeds College of Art, Yorkshire,
Publications and Films:
1991 - Drawing featured in the American-Japanese publication of the
works of International American potter Warren MacKenzie.
1986 - Visual Education on the Back-Burner, Bulletin Magazine,
Canadian Community Colleges, Toronto.
Artists Proof: Eric Atkinson and Art Education, 30 min.
1982 - Paintings feature in Pan-Canadian production The Amateur with
John Savage and Christopher Plummer.
1982 - Forum: Imaginative use of Space, T.K.O. Magazine, London.
1970 - Art Education, Mash Magazine, Chicago Art Institute.
1964 - “Alfred Wallis: Cornish Primitive painter”, Accent Magazine,
Leeds; reprinted in Tate Gallery exhibition catalogue, Leeds Revived 1968.
Selected Solo Exhibitions:
1989 - Thielsen Galleries Ltd., London, Ontario.
1987 - The Concept Gallery, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
1983 - McIntosh Gallery, The University of Western Ontario, London,
- Woodstock Art Gallery, Woodstock, Ont.
1982 - Zenith Gallery, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
- Barbara Fiedler Gallery, Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
1981 - Pollock Gallery, Toronto, Ontario.
1980 - Mendel Art Gallery, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- University of Wisconsin, Kenosha, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
1979 - Pollock Gallery, Toronto, Ont.
- Trajectory Gallery, London, Ont.
1978 - Pollock Gallery, Toronto, Ont.
1975 - Park Square Gallery, Leeds, Yorkshire, Eng.
1974 - Thielsen Galleries Ltd., London, Ont.
1973 - Morse Capponi Gallery, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.
1972 - London Art Gallery, London, Ont.
1970 - Nancy Poole Gallery, London, Ont.
1969 - Gallerie Rottger, Lunen, Germany
- Gallerie Heid, Marberg, Germany
- Park Square Gallery, Leeds, Yorkshire, Eng.
1965 - Molton Gallery, London, Eng.
1963 - Zwemmer Gallery, London, Eng.
1961 - Municipal Art Gallery, Middlesbrough, Yorkshire, Eng.
1960 - The Redfern Gallery, London, Eng.
- City Art Gallery, Wakefield, Yorkshire, Eng.
- Howard Roberts Gallery, Cardiff, Wales
1956 - The Redfern Gallery, London, England
1954 - The Redfern Gallery, London, England
1952 - The Irving Galleries, London, England
Selected Group Exhibitions:
1993 - Down By the Riverside, London Regional Art and Historical
Museums, London, Ont.
1991 - S. Mendelson Gallery, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
- Concept Gallery, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
1984 - Associations, London Regional Art Gallery, London, Ont.
1982 - Fanshawe Faculty, The Gallery Stratford, Stratford, Ont.
1980 - Area Artists survey Part I, London Regional Art Gallery,
- The Lewis Collection, Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh, Penn.
1978 - London/Banff Exchange
1977 - Saskatoon/London Exchange
1971 - Kingpitcher Art Gallery, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
1970 - Fanshawe Basic Year Exhibition, Rothmans Art Gallery of Stratford
- British Embassy, Washington, D.C.
- British Painting, Corcoran Gallery, Washington, D.C.
- British Tour Exhibition, Arts Council of Great Britain, Tel-Aviv,
1968 - Alliance In Art, International Exhibition, Washington, D.C.
1967 - Edinburgh l00, Edinburgh, Scotland.
1965 - University of Alberta Exchange with Leeds College of Art, Leeds,
1963 - John Moores International Exhibition, Walker Art Gallery, Liver-
- Stadhausgalerie, Dortmund, Germany
1958 - British Painting, Whitechapel Art Gallery, London, Eng.
1956 - Contemporary Art Society Collection, Tate Gallery, London, Eng.
1954 - Figures in Their Settings, Tate Gallery, London, Eng.
Selected Public Collections:
Contemporary Art Society of Great Britain
Arts Council of Great Britain
Ministry of Works of Great Britain
National Hospital Collection
Leeds C.A.S. Leeds University
Leeds City Art Gallery
Keele University Collection
Oxford University Collection
Clarendon College, Nottingham
Bishop Stortford College
Bretton Hall Collection, Wakefield
Abbot Hall Gallery, Kendal
Gray Art Gallery, Hartlepool
Hereford City Art Gallery
Leicester Art Gallery
Leicestershire Educational Authority
Kent Educational Authorities Collection
Whitbread Brewery Collection
Glaxo Laboratories Collection
P & O Steamship Company Collection
Royal Academy of Arts
Imperial Chemical Industries
Victoria and Albert Museum
National Museum of the Performing Arts
Marburg University, Germany
Balaszeskul Collection, Berlin
McNay Art Institute, San Antonio
Ford Foundation, Detroit
Urban Design Associates, Pittsburgh
Print Collection, California Art College
Touche Ross, Pittsburgh
Imperial Oil Ltd., Calgary
Cassels Brock, Ltd., Toronto
Southern Pacific Hotel Ltd., Toronto
Lear & Siegler Ltd.
Alcoa Collection, Pittsburgh
United Steele, Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Metals Collection
London Regional Art and Historical
The McIntosh Gallery, The University of Museums, Ont.
University Hospital, London, Ontario
The Blackburn Group, Inc.
London Regional Cancer Centre
l. Andrea, Janice. “Season in Review”, Toronto Arts Magazine, March l98l.
2. Berger, John. “London Galleries”, Time and Tide Magazine, November l955.
3. Bone, Stephen. “The Art of Eric Atkinson”, The Times, September 6, l956.
4. Burdett, Bob, Canadian Artists in Exhibition, Toronto: Roundstone, l974.
5. Crawford, Lenore. “Mexican Theme Dominates”, The London Free Press, March
6. Demarco, Richard. 1st Edinburgh Open l00, (exhibition catalogue), Demarco
7. Fair, Barry. Down By the Riverside (exhibition catalogue). London: London
Regional ARt and historical Museums, l993.
8. Gibbons, Philip. “The Work of Eric Atkinson”, The Studio Magazine, October, l956.
9. Johnson, W.E. “Hartlepool Artist”, Northern Daily Mail, November 6, l952.
l0. Kitchin, Myfanwy. “Atkinson and Warren-Davis: Midland Group Nottingham”,
Manchester Guardian, April l6, l965.
Selected Bibliography continued:
11. Kritzwiser, Kay. “Artist Atkinson, happy Wearing Two Hats”, The Globe and Mail,
Toronto, October 25, l980.
12. Laurie, peter. “A Love for the Landscape”, Interrobang, Fanshawe College, March,
13. Lewis, David. “Collecting: A Personal Affair”, Carnegie Institute Magazine
(Pittsburgh), Summer Issue, l98l.
14. Maddox, Conroy. “Atkinson’s Molton Gallery Exhibition”, Manchester Guardian,
April l6, l965.
15. Miller, Donald. “Painting and Photography: Atkinson, Edward and Cole Weston”,
Pitsburgh Post Gazette, September 23, l982.
16. Moppett, George. Eric Atkinson, (exhibition catalogue), Saskatoon: Mendel Art
17. Moppett, George. London/Saskatoon Exchange, (exhibition catalogue), Saskatoon:
Mendel Art Gallery, l977.
18. Newton, Eric. “The Painters Intention”. Time and Tide Magazine, February l3, l954.
19. Newton, Eric. “Atkinson At Zwemmer Gallery, London, U.K.”, Manchester
Guardian, February l2, l963.
20. O’Brien, Paddy. London Collects, (exhibition catalogue), London Regional
Art Gallery, l972.
21. Oliver, W.T. “Zest and Sense of Fun Shine Through”, Yorkshire Post, June 23,
22. Purdie, James. “A Battle for Name over Number”, The Globe and Mail, Toronto,
February l5, l987.
23. Rans, Goldie. “A Passion for Creativity”, London Magazine, March l988.
24. Read, Sir Herbert. Malerei und Plastik aus Leeds, (foreword, exhibition catalogue).
Dortmund Leeds Exchange Exhibition, Dortmund, Germany, l96l.
25. Reaney, James. “Huronia Series: A Trip to the Beach”, The London Free Press, June
26. Robertson, Bryan. “British Painters of Today”, The Listener, February l953.
27. Russell, john. “Mixtures: London Group”, The Sunday Times, September l954.
28. Sandle, Douglas. Forms and Image in Contemporary Art, (exhibition catalogue).
Leeds University, March l966.
29. Secrest, Meryle. “An American in Leeds”, Studio International, May l969.
30. Secrest, Meryle. “The Performance is Now in Progress”, The Washington Post,
May l8, l969.
31. Stubbs, Maurice. Canadian Art Collection, London: McIntosh Gallery, The
University of Western Ontario, l983.
32. Tausig, Susanne. “probe Beneath Realities Surface:, The London Free Press,
March l7, l979.
33. Taylor, Alfred. “His Art is in His Job”, Yorkshire Evening Post, December 3, l965.
34. Sunderland, “Striking Work”, The Scotsman, February l6, l954.
35. Sylvester, David. “Round the London Galleries”, Redfern, Listner Magazine,
February l2, l954.
36. Wallis, Nevile. “Sincerity of Purpose: A Private Universe”, The Sunday Observer,
November 6, l953.
37. Whittet, G.S. “London Survey, Redfern Gallery: Atkinson and Cerl Richards”, The
Studio Magazine of Contemporary Art, May l956.